November 23rd, 2009 by Beth-Ann Ryan
Bookmark and Share

cloves1A:   In September, the FDA banned flavored cigarettes, including clove cigarettes.  It is now illegal to manufacture, import, distribute, or sell flavored cigarettes.

The FDA is working to ensure illegal imports do not reach consumers and your purchase may in fact be seized.  In a recent  media briefing, the FDA stated, “We’ve established procedures at the border to watch for products which violate this ban to prevent them from entering the United States.”

The FDA has also created a website devoted to information concerning the ban: http://www.fda.gov/flavoredtobacco

Menthol cigarettes and flavored pipe tobacco are not affected by this ban.

Thanks for using Ask a Librarian Delaware.  Have a question? Ask us!

Bookmark and Share

10 Responses to “Q: Can I buy clove cigarettes overseas and have them imported? Will they be seized?”

1. Paul says:

This ban is rediculous. love how the government is using this ban to keep flavored cigarettes from kids instead of relying on parents to do their job and actually watch their own children or holding the merchants responsible for underage sales, so now adults who want to enjoy them have to be punished. Thanks big brother. If I want to enjoy flavored cigarettes that should be my business.

2. MakeYourOwn says:

There is a recipe available if you research a bit that tells you how to make your own clove cigarettes. This is a legal way to still be able to enjoy a kretek, rather than have to settle for the ‘cigars’ that have replaced the cigarette.

3. too bad says:

…people cannot be trusted to use their own cognition in pursuing their inalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. By what authority does this proclamation pretend to derive its ability to tread upon the liberties of free people? Though a non-smoker, I entered into no such agreement with anyone whereby I give up my right to decide what flavors I may ingest into my body. This is not merely silly, it is void.

4. Copper says:

I don’t know why we keep allowing our government officials to take our rights in exchange for padding thier pockets from special interest groups. Plain and simple- American tobacco corps cried that these flavored ciggs were killing American made profits. I am in my 40’s and never met a teen who started smoking with cloves. Surveys done by many sources show Marlboro Reds to be the first and preferred cigg of the age group targeted. Newport menthol are 2nd. The only thing Kreteks were killing is Morris and Reynolds profit potential.

5. Whitten says:

Hear ye, Hear ye! Another triumph in shielding our precious children from their incompetent parents. Wait a moment, I’m an adult, and I supposedly have the right to enjoy and indulge in that which I buy with my own hard earned money. Since when did the cigarettes I buy affect the children I don’t have? I’d like my rights and liberties back please.

6. Christmas Recipes says:

In a way it reminds me of the recent ban they are placing on toys in kids meals at fast food recipes. Government restrictions that aren’t necessary. I don’t know much about clove cigarettes. How do they compare with the menthol health wise?

7. Jake says:

Yeah, in some countries they will be seized, no question about it. :(

8. guiller says:

9. eivai says:

It’s indeed a good post, helped me a lot.

10. kona says:

I used to import them from Indonesia, but now they’re seizing them, which is sad. It baffles me that they would ban flavored cigarettes when the biggest culprit for gateway smoking are not flavored cigarettes, which represented 1% of the market, but actually is menthol cigarettes. Of course Philip Morris was behind this legislation. 70%+ of new smokers started with menthol cigarettes, but they were excluded in this ban. Now how is it that banning flavored cigarettes is going to help young smokers when they didn’t ban the main culprit, menthol cigarettes?